Bit By a Bug

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My new computer was bit by its first virus. Yes, it lost its virus virginity yesterday. Around 11am yesterday, my computer restarted itself out of nowhere. I wasn't sure why. When it came back, the network and volume icons were gone from my system tray. I didn't think anything of it. Just went about my day.

I finally decided to look at that issue around 11 last night. I figured it would be a quick fix, and it would have been if there was a virus at the cause of it. It took me nearly three hours to figure out how to get rid of it. With the new system, I was having a few issues. I couldn't figure out how to boot into safe mode to delete the file in question. Finally able to enter safe mode on boot, and the file wouldn't delete.

I tried a simple system restore at first, but it wouldn't let me do that. Two hours later, I thought I might have to pull out the discs to do a complete restore, but I decided to give a system restore one more shot. This time to an earlier point. This time it worked. It was just one big pain. At least, my computer survived.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well even my computer sucks

At least you knew what to do and could fix it. I had no clue so had to call the Geek Squad at Best Buy where I had purchased it and then took it in for them to repair it. It's been a week now and I still don't have it back, so 3 hours looks really good to me!

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Inside My Wild Mind