04. Tell me why?

Friday, March 25, 2005

Terri Schiavo's Journal

I woke up this morning, and as in most days my first stop of the day is to my personal journal's friends list in order to read about what my friends are doing. This day I found some talk about a journal that was made. After a bit of searching the above is what I found. As you can tell by the comments, I wasn't the only person that found it. There is also a similar journal found on another of the large online journal sites. This journal is sickening. Commenting it though is a complete and total waste of time. The fact of the matter is the journal was made by someone looking for attention. This is the manner in which they went to achieve it. They went for attention by making fun of a woman and situation that has rocked this nation to its foundation.

We all have heard about the battle currently going on. It has caught the eye of the nation and the world. I've heard opinions from those around the world. It is one of those tough controversial issues that divide the nation and people. Terri is slowly suffering at this very moment. She is starving to death because her feeding tube was removed about a week ago at the request of her husband. This was done in accordance to her own wishes. However, she has been in this state for the last fifteen years. Why is this happening now? That is one question I find myself asking.

Another question I find myself asking is why is everyone in the world getting involved? We have the government getting involved. We have others around the world offering their own two cents. This matter is truly a family matter. Yes, the resulting court battle has drawn attention, but in most cases this does not happen.

I happen to agree with the decision to pull her off. I know others have a differing opinion than mine, and I respect those opinions. My opinion is based on my own personal experience. My mother was ill for many years, and she passed on in 1995. At the time she passed on, she was on machines that kept her alive. Those machines breathed for her. She could live that way for the rest of her life. As long as she remained on those machine's she could live indefinitely. My mother would not have wanted to live in that manner, and she had made this clear to her husband, my father. He respected her wishes, and she was taken off. She died quickly. Not like Terri. That does bother me. The fact that she is slowly dying is sad to see. If there was some way to make this easier for her I would love to see that. There isn't though.

I've seen some call her husband a murderer because of what he has done. All we have is his word so to speak. That's all my father had as well. His word. Was he a murderer? No. Is Terri's husband? No. This case is hard for all parties involved. It is more than just a case. It's a matter of family and the life of one woman. One woman that deserves to rest in peace.

0 comments:

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Inside My Wild Mind