83. WIP thoughts and playing what if

Tuesday, June 28, 2005


Mood: thinking
Music: Green Day - Jesus of Suburbia


Earlier as I was sitting here at my desk, I think I finally figured out why Crash into me has come to such a halt writing wise. I've been on the same page for about a week now, and it is getting really frustrating. Insert a banging head against the wall smilie here. I think I figured out why, so maybe that will help me move on. I'm hoping so anyway. When I began the story, it wasn't supposed to turn into this long story. I was writing it with the intention of submitting it to an anthology I'd heard about that was looking for gay male alien erotica. So in my head, it was hot male alien meets hot gay human on Earth and they have sex. I never really went any further than that in my mind.

I knew early on that the story was turning into more than that, and I was willing to just allow the characters lead me where they wanted. Well, they have stopped leading me. I've reached the point where I think Daniel and Kaelin are going to have sex. About 4,000 words in, and it will happen unless one or the other decides to throw another curve ball at me. It could happen. Daniel seems to like throwing curves. I had no idea he could read Kaelin's thoughts until he informed me of that fact out of nowhere. Going back and re-reading the story, I kind of saw a bit of foreshadowing for that little tidbit, and I thought that was really cool.

I just don't know what happens next. I've played with some ideas in my head. I just don't know which way to go, if they do have sex now that is. I think that is why I've come to this halt. The story is set in the future, and Kaelin has come on mission to Earth to find a new home for the inhabitants of his home world because their planet is on its way to certain destruction. One of the ideas, I'm playing with is he discovers that Earth isn't that place, and since it isn't he has to leave to find another place. This would mean leaving this man he has just found. Which is the huge black moment. Would Daniel go off planet hopping with this man he just met or is that totally unrealistic? That is where my problem lies! I'll have to give it more thought.

Last night, I was going through my old movies on tape. Trying to find something to watch. Since I have a good working VCR again, I wanted to watch some of my old favorites. I found this one movie that is nearly twenty years old, and is so cheesy and a movie slotted under the B movie category. It's called The Wraith, and it stars Sherilynn Fenn and Charlie Sheen. A brief sypnosis of the film. A guy loves a girl, but some crazy guy in town is obsessed with said girl, and ends up killing the good guy. So the good guy comes back and kills the bad guy and each member of his gang one by one. I know I'm even shaking my head right now because it is so cheesy. In the end, the good guy ends up with his girl, and all is well.

As bad as the plot as this sounds, I love the movie. It is one of those movies that I can watch and recite the dialogue. I can skip ahead to any part and know the story. Well, for the longest time, whenever I watched this movie, I seem to be playing what if. What if this happened instead? Just playing around with the different plot points in my head. I think I had something come to me last night thought that might turn out really cool if I ever decide to follow through with it.

I don't think it is the lack of ideas that is my problem. I think it is actually sitting down and following those ideas through to completion. That might be my problem. Shorter works seem to be easier. Longer works seem to just come to a halt to quickly. I'm working on that. I really Crash into me and my other halted story, Lonely Street, too. I'm off to ponder some more.

Happy Tuesday everyone!

0 comments:

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Inside My Wild Mind