43: My review of Episode III

Thursday, May 19, 2005

NOTE: This review might contain spoilers for the movie.




Two words that immediately come to my mind after seeing Episode III today is visually stunning. The next two would be action packed. I saw Episode III this morning, and I think it might be the best movie out of the prequel trilogy. All the loose ends that could be tied up were. How did one boy from Tatooine become the most hated villain in history Darth Vadar? That question is answered. It had begun to be answered in Episode II. We saw shades of the man that was to come, but it is only in this movie that we truly are able to see the rise of the menace we grow to hate in the later trilogy.




From the first moment the movie began, my eyes were glued to the screen. Star Wars has been a part of my life since I was the tender age of one. I actually remember my parents taking me to see Episode IV in the drive-in. That event being one of my very first memories. Episode III did not disappoint me in anyway. At times, I felt I was there in the fighters flying along with Obi-wan and Anakin. The graphics are that well done.




The story finally felt as if it was being told right. In the earlier prequels, I was left wanting more. Episode II was way better than Episode I, and Episode III made them both pale in comparison. This movie was the best movie by far. Not one doubt in my mind. All the characters were there. All the favorites. A few small surprises were thrown in. Who knew R2-D2 could so easily fight back? We all know Yoda could, and once again he did so. Even if he did fail, and forced himself to exile. That we knew would happen because of events in the next part of the series. We knew the twins would be separated at birth, and raised by who they were given to in this movie.




We finally got to see the reason behind Anakin becoming the metallic monster Darth Vadar. That scene was hard to stomach, and probably disturbing to some of the younger people in the audience. The story itself was heartbreaking. Not only Padme, but also the killing of so many innocents, which is glossed over. We know it was done, but it isn't mentioned much. Yes, that was probably due to its PG-13 rating. A rating that Lucas said he wanted to keep so that all the fans of the movies, young and old could see it. Any more graphic and an R rating would have been slapped on it so fast.




I think this movie might have saved the Star Wars name. So much has been said negatively about it since the previous two releases. Episode I didn't do all that well, and Episode II only faired a bit better than its predecessor. The only questions now are the years in between Episode III and Episode IV. What about the raising of the twins? It is a small point to some, but for the die hard fans some want to know. We might find out. Their is talk of two shows in production. One in cartoon format, and one a live action show. So the story really isn't over. I don't think the Star Wars story will ever be truly over. Their will be books, and if the television shows do well we will have those for at least a few years. Their success is yet to be seen.




Episode III is non-stop action from the first moment the movie begins. There are battle scenes, both in space, on land, and hand to hand combat. Their is sadness. Their is heartbreak, and in the end their is hope for a new beginning with the birth of Anakin's and Padme's children. All in all, everything is settled and I left walking the theater satisfied with the conclusion. Also left a bit saddened because I knew in my mind the movies were indeed over. These movies have been a part of my life since the beginning. I don't know a life without Star Wars. I'm not as fanatical as most are about the movies, but these movies are a major force in my life, no pun intended. I am sad to see it end, but all good things do come to an end sometime. I'll be excited to see if the shows for television currently be discussed make it to air.

0 comments:

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Inside My Wild Mind