47. How time flies ...

Monday, May 23, 2005

Today I woke up and got ready to go out. My father and I needed to run some errands for the house, so off we went a few places. All done in under an hour. We're really not one to go out for long periods of time looking at this and that. The only time I'll spend more time looking and browsing if if I'm a book store of an office supply store. I seem to spend so much time in those two places. I can spend hours looking through shelves of book. When I was younger, it was the library. I'd have one of my parents drop me off at the library, and come back in an hour or two. I'd go through the children's section, finding books to take home and read. I was an avid reader. Every two week, I'd take at least a stack of ten to twelve books home to read.

Then I found the adult section when I hit around 12. My best friend at the time brought some romance novels to school, and lent me a couple to read. That is when I began reading romance novels. Almost twenty years ago, which just makes me shake my head in amazement. Time does fly doesn't it? Just a couple of years shy of twenty though. The books back then were much more tamer than the books written today, but I enjoyed them. I then really decided to pursue my writing. I wanted to put stories together like the ones I read. My father and mother raised some eyebrows when they noticed the books I was coming home from the library were a bit different than the ones from the children's section. I brought not only romances home, but horror novels too. I've always been a fan of Stephen King and Dean Koontz. Both authors I read a lot of back in my teens. I started buying their books, and I read them from cover to cover.

Now I go through the shelves at the grocery stores or the bookstores, and I recognize the names of the authors of the books on those very shelves from blogs I read on a daily basis. Blogs have put me in touch with those authors. When I began blogging this last time, I had tried it two times before, and it never went anyway, I didn't know what to expect. I wasn't thinking I was suitable for blogging, but I wrote in a personal journal everyday. Blogging should be no different. The friends that read my personal journal aren't writers for the most part, and I wanted a way to connect to those that I knew also wrote. I'm really glad that this blog attempt has succeeded where the two previous tries have failed. I like my blog. I like reading the blogs of others.

As for my writing, I didn't get anything done last night. I got a headache around midnight, and I went to bed early. It's from the heat here. The past week the temps have been hitting over a hundred, and the air in our apartment isn't cooling things down too well, so I get headaches, and its hard to write when your head is pounding. I plan to tackle things tonight, and I found another flash submission call with a short deadline, so I'm going to try to put something together for that. Speaking of deadlines, I put a small deadline calendar on my sidebar. It has some deadline's for upcoming submission calls and contests. I plan to add more as I learn of them. I have a few up there now. It is mostly for my benefit, so I can keep track of things I want to submit to, but if anyone else can find the information useful, feel free to take a look.

2 comments:

Crystal* said...

I could live at the library. That's how I spent my time, too. I actually worked at the local one for a couple of years. I was in Heaven. Nothing like having the power of getting the good stuff first.
And it never fails to amaze me how many good books are simply sitting there waiting to be found.
Grins*

Regina Avalos said...

Exactly. Waiting to be found, sitting there. Libraries are wonderful.

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Inside My Wild Mind