16. The beginning of a new era: A new Pope

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

I woke up under a different sky. Within minutes of my waking up this day, I knew a new pope had been chosen by the conclave in Rome. Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, age 78, is now the new pope, Benedict XVI. Whet I had thought would take days, took little to no time at all, and we now have a new head of the Roman Catholic church. I was raised Catholic, and the only Pope I have ever known personally, is John Paul II. His death did hit me, although I'm not as religious as I once was. I don't attend weekly mass, and the last time I went to confession doesn't ever reach my mind.

Pope John Paul II was a good pope, a strong leader and when he passed I was quite saddened. I was only three when he elected, so he is the only Pope I have ever known. I worry about the new Pope just elected. I worry if he'll be as strong a leader as John Paul was. Being Pope and leading the Roman Catholic church is not an easy thing. The Pope is the one Catholics too on many important issues, and yes there is room to disagree, but the Pope is the man that lays down the law for the Catholic people so to speak. Each Pope has his own beliefs on many of the important issues facing today's society. How will Pope Benedict XVI feel when it comes to issues that have made their way into importance in recent years. Birth control and stem cell being some of the issues that have already been mentioned on my television today.

The coverage of this election of a new pope is everywhere. It's on my television, and its on my computer screen. Everyone seems to have an opinion on this new election. I have more to learn and process before I can ever state whether the right choice was made. I don't know much about the man that was chosen, but the fact of the matter is he was chosen. Whether I like it, whether anyone likes it really, he is the new Pope.

I do have my concerns. The most prevalent in my mind being his age. I just told my father how old the new pope was, and he just shuck his head. My father is nearing eighty, so he is a year older than the man elected to rule the Roman Catholic Church. For a man his age, my father does quite well. He works forty hours a week, and he is healthy. He is slower than he used to be, and he is a little hard of hearing, but other than that he is a man of sixty in an eighty year olds body. Is Pope Benedict XVI the same? Will we have him for many years to come or will we lose him as we have lost some in the past after only thirty-six days. Only time will tell. I just know that it is good to see a new man in the role that is so vital to those of the Catholic faith.

0 comments:

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Inside My Wild Mind