62. A little bit of everything ...

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

First off, the good news, my column for the week is up over at Gay wired. I submitted it yesterday, and I was waiting oh so impatiently to hear back from the editor if they requested changes. Well, I never heard anything, so I was wondering. Went to go check where I posted my review, and it had been picked up and paid for already. Only saw one line change made by the editor. The editor's line sounded better than mine, so it was fine. So it does look like I have a column. I already did my little chair dance. If you're interested in hopping over to read my review, click on the link for this week's QAF wrap-up on my sidebar.

Today started off earlier than I'm used to. We had carpet cleaners coming in today to clean, and I guess the manager gave them our key cause I was woken up by someone in our living room yelling out, "Helllooooooooooo ..." I jumped out of bed, wondered where my brother was, and then made my half dressed attempt to greet total male strangers. Yes, definitely interesting. Of course that isn't the word I used this morning. I can't say the words I used in polite company!

They were gone in under thirty minutes, and I thought about climbing back under the covers, but instead I stayed up. Read email, and then I looked at my website. Been wanting to move things around for about a week now, and I did that. Not much has changed. I separated my nonfiction and fiction publications. They each have their own pages now. I want to rework my links page next. That will be a beast to tackle another day. also, looking into getting a domain name at some point in the next few months. Just taking things one step at a time.

Last night, I worked some on "Crash into me," my gay romance sci-fi short, and I'm looking at the word count limit, and where I am in the story, and I'm wondering how the heck I'm going to get everything they want in just 2,500 words, and make it hot too. I'm scratching my head just a little bit here. They want strong characterisation, plot, good description of the time, place, and one of the characters has to be a fully described alien. Scratches head some more. I know if it goes longer I could find another publication. I have one in mind. I guess I just need to continue on with it, and see where it goes. The characters seem to be talking to me fairly well, so I'll go where they take me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just keep following your story! It'll tell you where to go. That does sound like a lot in that word count! I'm working on an online read for eharlequin now and am finding how hard it is to write short!

Regina Avalos said...

Exactly! They want everything described well. The setting and the alien character, which in my story is human-like, so that isn't much different, but still I'm trying to see if I can squeeze everything in with that word count. I don't think I can.

Crystal* said...

That is extremely difficult. Overwrite first and then pare down. Good luck!
Grins*

Anonymous said...

Hey congrats on your column being accepted and paid for. Money is always welcome ...

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Inside My Wild Mind