Thoughts on The Other Boleyn Girl

Saturday, December 08, 2007

I just recently started reading The Other Boleyn Girl, and I'm not even fifty pages in yet, and I already get the distinct impression the book is nothing like the movie that is set to be released in February. I've seen two trailers for the film, and the book just reads differently. When movies are made from the books that I love, I've always found myself liking the book more. Maybe its because I can better picture the story in my own head by reading the words on the page rather than having some image put into my head by some director or screen play writer.

Perhaps it is because I'm a writer and I like to create those images myself. There are some examples where I've enjoyed the book and the movie equally, but it tends to lean more in favor of the book. Over the summer, I read The Time Traveler's Wife, and I know that book is also being made into a movie with a release date of next year. I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle it. I wasn't completely happy with the last hundred or so pages of that book, but maybe the movie will handle them differently. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens when both movies are released. I know I have plans to see both when they come out.

1 comments:

L. Lemanski said...

It is funny that you are writing about this . . . just the other night we watched The Namesake based on the book of the same name by Jhumpa Lahiri. The book and film were so very close--I was surprised.

As an English teacher I like to show my students films based on the novels we read in class. I seldom find films really grab the essence of the story--they miss so much. But then again, it is hard to expect so much from a film when it really has so little time to tell the whole story. After all, I guess the richness of stories are often in the details that are left out of the films . . .

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Inside My Wild Mind