36. A little bit of everything ...

Wednesday, May 11, 2005



Mood: calm
Music: Shape of my heart - Backstreet Boys


I had one of those wow moments last night. Someone I have known since elementary school googled my name and found my blog. They dropped a comment and tagged my board. When I saw the name listed on my email when I got my comment I might have screamed, but I had to hold it in and internally scream because it was post-midnight and the rest of the house, minus my two cats, were asleep. I'm really excited to get in touch with this person again because she was my best friend all through my school years.

This is where the wow moment came in. You thought it was her actually commenting right? That was pretty great too. She googled my name and found me. My name is something that can be found and associated with my work and my blog. For a newer author, name recognition is important. Beth even mentioned the importance of name recognition in her blog on marketing today. Over the next few days, she will talk about marketing further, and the first post was already a wealth of information, and I'm looking forward to more discussion on the topic.

Yesterday, I sent out a query on an article, and I heard back within the hour with the go ahead to write the article from the editor. I sent off the article this afternoon, and I'm patiently or impatiently waiting to hear back. It is always hard to send stuff out. I still have the moments of wanting to hide my writing forever. Not when it comes to my blog, of course. With other things. Articles, stories. I somehow relate those things separately. I'm also playing around with the Desdmona Fragrant Flash Contest. When it comes to short flash pieces, I tend to play around with them in my head for a bit until I finally sit down and put it down onto my screen. I've been working on this one in my head since last night. Maybe I'll try to get something down in the next day or two.

I think last night was the first night in weeks I found myself in bed by 4am. Yes, insomniac remember? I was flipping through my cable stations late last night, and stumbled upon an airing of the Red Shoe Diaries. I saw the episode was just beginning, so I kept it on, and it reminded me why I loved the show. For those that might not have heard of it, the premise of the show is that woman send their letters to Red Shoe's, and he reads them. They tell them about love, romance, sex. All of that is poured out in a letter to a complete stranger they will never meet. In this episode, a woman writes about an affair that was began over a serious mysterious letters. She does figure out the source, and it is a student in her law class. The letters are hot and steamy, as was the sex. In the end though, red shoes says "Well now that is romance." The episode had the perfect blend of erotica and romance. Which is what authors that write in that genre want. They want the sex, but they want the romance too. Finding the right mix isn't easy, but it can be done. I'm still working on it myself.

Today I received my copy of Suzanne's, Cole Dempsey's Back in Town, and I'm really excited to read it. I might have to set my copy of White Oleander aside for a bit.

3 comments:

Silma said...

Oh, I can imagine your happiness to be in contact your old school friend! Isn't it a great? I love it when things like this happen to me. =)

Anonymous said...

Hey congrats on the article, and hugs on the insomnia ... I'm right there with ya on that one.

Lynn said...

Congrats on the article, and very cool on the contact from your old friend. Isn't that just a wild feeling? But it's exciting that she found you by googling you.

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Inside My Wild Mind