125. Good-bye to a favorite

Monday, August 08, 2005

I'd like to start off my post today by talking about Queer as Folk. As I mentioned in my post yesterday, last night marked the final episode in this series run. I have been a fan of this show since it began back in 2000. I didn't watch it at first, but Showtime aired marathon one New Year's Eve, and I remember watching the show from midnight til about 3am. They showed the first four episodes, and I was immediately hooked. Before Queer as Folk, I didn't give much thought to the gay community. I had friends that were gay, family members even, but until this show I never gave much thought to those living in that community.

This show changed all of that. This show opened my eyes. It helped change how I look at the world around me. Because of this show, I ventured into a genre of fiction I had never written in before. I began writing gay fiction in 2001. I first started with fan fiction, and by 2003 I was ready to move onto original fiction, which I'm still working on and pursuing now. This show helped me find a comfortableness in my own self, and it also gave me the ability to go out of myself and write about something I had no experience of my own in. I'm not a gay man. I am a bisexual woman, and I have no problem saying that to whoever may ask me. Before this show, I hid that from even myself. My family knew long before I even accepted it.

Queer as Folk paved the way for gay television. Today, we now have entirely gay networks coming to cable companies in many cities. That would have been unheard of before this show premiered, and to think this show was thought to have no chance of making it when it first aired. Many thought it wouldn't last at all. It was too much for television. Too gritty. Too honest. However, that honesty is what made this show work. Straight and gay all joined together to watch this show. Sexuality and gender didn't matter. The story of these character's lives is what mattered to those that watched this show faithfully week after week.

Last night's episode made me cry. It wrapped it all up. We knew where all the character's were going, and the show ended as it began. With a realistic ending that stayed true to the character's portrayed. I've had problems with this season, but I had not one problem with this episode. It made me cry and it allowed me the chance to say good-bye to this show that will always have a special place in my heart. To read my review and thoughts about this show leaving the airwaves go here.

Just before the show began to air, I heard the news of Peter Jennings passing on. I hadn't heard he was ill, but I was immediately saddened to hear of his passing. I had seen him grace the small screen with his reporting since I was a young child, and I know many will miss him.

I really didn't get any writing done on For Hire or Crash into me last night, but I kind of expected that with the airing of Queer as Folk and having to write up my review. The review was a bit longer than my usual, so it took a bit more to write. I plan to get back on track later today. I did submit a couple of short stories to different contests the other night though, so things are moving right along.

Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

I don't have showtime and unfortunately never watched the show. And yes, very sad about Jennings. He's been part of my TV world for as long as I can remember. =)

Anonymous said...

I feel so bad about Jennings. Loved watching him.

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Inside My Wild Mind