105. Beam me up Scotty

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The first thing I saw this morning when I opened up my bloglines to read my feeds is that James Doohan passed away. This made me sad. As a lover of all things science fiction, I grew up watching the original Star Trek in syndication and movies. I also watched The Next Generation and Voyager faithfully each and every week. They lost me with their latest offering, but I enjoyed TNG and Voyager a great deal. I've always loved science fiction. Growing up it was my genre of choice before I found romance novels at the young age of 13.

I always wanted to write a science fiction story, but I also became a bit frazzled at the prospect. Science fiction expects and requires so much more. If you set your story in another world, you have to create that world and its habitants. That is just mind boggling to me. Crash into me is my first attempt at something a bit science fiction. The story is set on Earth much later in this century. I won't say the story is stalled because when I do find the creativity to sit down and write it, the words are there. They are just slower to come.

To those wondering on my father, he was released from the hospital yesterday afternoon unexpectedly. The doctor's said all he would be doing is laying there for a couple of days, so he might as well do that at home. He's still under the weather, but at least he is home. The doctor's did warn him on keeping to his diet and taking care of himself better, or he'd be right back in the hospital. My father is stubborn, so we shall see how this goes.

To those that are interested, my review of last night's Real World: Austin is available here. Also I realized I forgot to link my latest Queer as Folk review yesterday. That can be found here. I was really quite pleased with this review, and I noticed the fact that both my latest reviews have remained on the main page of the site the last two weeks. The most recent only replacing the other.

Tonight I believe there is a new dance show premiering on Fox. At least last I heard it was premiering tonight. I heard about it while I was reviewing Dancing with the Stars, which was renewed for a second season by the way. I figure I might check it out. Dancing with the Stars left me with a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth with Kelly's win. I still think it should have been John and Charlotte. Hopefully, this new show will be different. I'll at least check it out.

Silma emailed me back today and mentioned all the contests going on with deadlines fast approaching. There are so many, and I know of more she didn't. It could literally make your head spin. I'm trying to pick and choose. Finding the time will be difficult. I know I won't be able to submit to everything I've even marked to try to enter.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

0 comments:

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Inside My Wild Mind