A Bit Of History

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I've always been fascinated by old homes. The ones you can tell have a lot of life to them. They have been around a hundred years or more, and you know the walls have stories to tell. They might even have a few spirits around to tell them. I love historic places. I love going to visit them and walk through the hallways. I know it may sound silly to some, but I've always been a history buff. Just this week, I found out that there is Titanic exhibit at the Science Center here. The story of the ill fated ocean liner has always fascinated me, and I'd really love to go. I might just get that chance.

I don't know what it is that grabs me about historic places. Growing up, I was fascinated by the story of Pompeii, the ancient city that was destroyed by a volcano. I'd watch shows that would take me to places that I knew I would never have the chance to see myself. In Orange, Texas, there is an old house that takes us back to Victorian times. The W.H. Stark House has been restored to its former glory, and people can visit. They can walk through its walls, and learn about the history of this Texan historic landmark.

The house once belonged to William Henry Stark and his wife. The man was an important part of history in Texas, and he was involved in much of the financial dealings in his day. The house was restored during a ten year process beginning in 1971, and today it is open to the public, where they can tour the house. The fifteen rooms contain much of the original furnishings.You can take a walk back through time and see how life was lived back in the early 1900s. You have to wonder the stories those walls can tell.

0 comments:

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Inside My Wild Mind