College memories

Saturday, March 15, 2008

The other day a friend and I were discussing college together. She still takes classes as she works towards another degree. I graduated college ten years ago, and I've never once thought about going back. I enjoyed my college days for what they are worth, but I don't necessarily have the best of memories of the time. It was an important period of my life though. I attended college to become a teacher. I went to ASU here in Arizona. The program at the time I went involved both textbook studies and in class room hands on learning with students.

I have always enjoyed working with kids, but after spending some time in the classroom over the years I went to college, I realized that the classroom wasn't the place for me. Programs that put you out there and dealing with a career hands on are a good way to see if you're a good fit with a chosen career. Some colleges have programs that takes students from the classroom to a job of their choice.

One such school is Kettering. Their industrial engineering program has been ranked #1 by US News and World Report in its annual ranking of colleges, America's Best Colleges Guide for 2008, Their engineering co-op programs takes students as soon as their freshman year and puts them into the workplace to gain hands on experience. I think this is the best way in any field to educate people best on what will be expected of them once their out of college and into the workplace. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

0 comments:

 
 
 
 
Copyright © Inside My Wild Mind